Intro to Web Design
For the OAT Program @ BCIT
This project-based 9-day course was designed to introduce you to the fundamentals of web design and development. Recently, there’s been a boom in people wanting to learn more about the online world. They don’t necessarily want to become programmers, they just want to understand how the digital pieces fit together so they can start a blog or build an online portfolio. To understand the web, after all, is fundamental to understanding how people live and think.
Plus, it’s a lot of fun.
You’ll begin by learning some basic Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) and Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) – the two essential languages of the web. Through labs and assignments, you’ll build a variety of elements and page structures, then you’ll put it all together by creating a small website.
Since most organizations today use a Content Management System (CMS) to maintain their websites, you’ll also learn the most popular CMS, WordPress, which powers more than 40% of all sites on the planet.
Using WordPress, you’ll build a number of local sites based on themes, both basic and premium. Then, you’ll receive a live site that you’ll use to build your final project. This will be your creation in WordPress – you’ll use a page builder to design a professional-looking, multi-page website.
1. LEARN THE BASICS
- Use Brackets as a text editor to code web pages
- Organize and name files and folders according to web standards
- Create and link HTML pages using basic tags
- Style basic HTML tags with CSS
- Use Photoshop to crop and resize photos for the web
2. ADD STYLES AND INTERACTIVITY
- Code and style more complex web page elements, such as grids, forms and tables
- Design and implement navigation bars
- Use CSS transitions and transforms to tastefully enhance user experience
- Design and hand-code a two-page website
- Optimize your site according to accepted principles of SEO
3. CREATE A PROFESSIONAL WEBSITE
- Explore and utilize popular features in WordPress 5.7
- Set-up Local by Flywheel – a local development environment for WordPress
- Review various WordPress themes and plugins
- Create a number of local sites using basic and premium themes
- Develop one live WordPress site using a page builder
Stuck on something?
Need an answer?
Check out the Resources page.
Once you learn how to ask the question, finding the answer becomes easy
Course Due Dates
Lab Assignments (6) - 30%
Santorini Project - 20%
HTML/CSS Website - 25%
WordPress Website - 25%
Lab Assignments - due Monday, July 12, 2021
Santorini Project - due Friday, July 23, 2021
HTML/CSS Website - due Friday, July 23, 2021
WordPress Website - due Friday, July 23, 2021
Materials will be distributed to you through the Learning Hub – OATP3000. You can use the same system to upload your assignments and projects for marking – except for your live WordPress site.
The course manual – Intro to Web Design & Development by Debra Williams – has been mailed to you.
Your grades will be emailed to you by Friday, August 6, 2021.
Debra Williams: email@example.com